Trying Out This Chalk Paint Stuff

I've been looking into doing chalk paint furniture for quite sometime. In fact 2 years ago when I first bought my house I found a cute little table on Facebook for sale for $50. It came with 4 chairs with a great design on the back. The table had a 2 leaves so it gets HUGE for family gatherings, so I figured why not. The only downside is they had kids that liked to paint. From the looks of this table set they didn't always get the paint on the paper. So I brought it home. I sanded and restained the table. The chairs I decided to paint with chalk paint. The stuff I bought was from our local Jo-Ann Fabrics, and at almost $10 a bottle it was quite steep. So I waited til it came on sale on Black Friday and bought 6!

Now mind you these chairs aren't very big... I used all 6 bottles and the coverage was less than impressive. I don't know where they came from but there were little red specks in the paint as well that would run color. I don't know where they came from but they were quite annoying. So I figured I would try doing some homemade stuff on my next project just to see how it turned out, before I try and redo my entire entertainment system. (Which I promise to get before and after pictures of!) I have to say that this little box of mine, started out just a plain ole white pine box, nothing special.
I made two different colors of paint to layer onto it, then used a dark wax to finish it. Added a little graphics to it, and I have to say I can't wait to start my next project!




For anyone wanting a good recipe for homemade chalk paint using plaster of paris its:

  • 3 parts paint
  • 1 part plaster of paris - mixed with equal amounts of water 
so 3 cups of paint to 1 cup plaster of paris mixed with 1 cup of water. Or for smaller batches use Tablespoons instead of cups. I also found that using acrylic art paint, you don't need as much water as it really thins it out.

Comments